For those praying about adoption, waiting for a placement, or already parenting children that have been adoption – learning all you can about this topic is so important. Over the years, I’ve read many books on the subject. So, I thought I would share some of my favorites (10 to be exact) with you (including links!) In no particular order…
10) Every Bitter Thing is Sweet by Sara Hagerty. While not solely on infertility and adoption, this is a significant part of Sara’s journey. This encouraging, Christian book is as beautiful as it is encouraging.
9) Wait No More by Kelly and John Rosati This book tells the amazing adoption story of this couple who adopted four children from the foster care system. It is real, it is raw, and it reveals how God can turn ashes to beauty.
8) Are We There Yet by Hector and Sue Baduea. I’d say Hector and Sue know a thing or two about adoption after adopting 20 children. The story of their remarkable journey will leave you humbled and hopeful.
7) So You Want to Adopt…Now What? by Sara Dormon with Ruth Graham Ruth Graham is the daughter of Billy and Ruth Bell Graham. But being from a Christian family certainly doesn’t exclude you from difficult times. In this book, Ruth shares about her teenage daughter’s pregnancy and adoption placement. In addition, Dr. Sara Dormon helps walk potential adoptive parents through the process. This is a must-read for any couple considering adoption. (And it’s only $3.97 right now!)
6) Mine, Yours, and Ours by Michelle Thorne This book combines the personal experiences of the author as a birth mother and as a crisis pregnancy center director. Her words of wisdom come from a unique lens.
5) Dear Birthmother by Kathleen Silber and Phylis Speedlin This book comes straight from the heart of the adoptive parents to the birth mother of their child. If you want to learn more about open adoption, read this classic.
4) The Adopted Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family by Karyn Purvis and David Cross. I had the pleasure of learning from Dr. Karyn Purvis through a live simulcast, but sadly never met her before she passed away. Just today I learned the subtitle of her book…and was shocked to learn that I used two of the same words for my subtitle – hope and healing. Don’t we all want that? Dr. Purvis amazing work lives on through this remarkable resource.
3) The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child by Nancy Newton Verrier This incredible book will surely help deepen anyone’s understanding of a child that has been adopted. Whether you’re still considering adoption or you’ve been parenting a child that was adopted a decade ago, read this book!
2) Happy Adoption Day! by John MCutcheon and Julie Paschkis If God calls you to adopt, I can promise you your adoption day WILL come! Be prepared with this darling book. The lyrics and pictures are sure to delight the whole family…including the newest member!
1) Trust, Hope, Pray: Encouragement for the Task of Waiting by Luke and Trisha Priebe Through their own lengthy adoption journey, Luke and Trisha learned many lessons about waiting. They share them in his daily devotional book that is sure to leave you trusting more, hoping more, and praying more.